Addendum to “The Complete Guide to Fujifilm’s X-T2” eBook, for firmware 2.0 & 2.10.
WHY THIS ADDENDUM?
While Fujifilm offer some brief descriptions of the new features in the release notes (below), some additional explanation might be of assistance.
Ordinarily, where there are just a few changes in firmware I might release an update to a book. But as you know, firmware 2.0 and 2.10 offer substantive changes.
Since updating an entire manuscript is quite time consuming, I’ve opted to release this addendum in the interest of speed.
THE ORDER OF THINGS
Of all the features available in these firmware updates, it’s likely that each photographer will have a shortlist of their favourites.
I really like the changes to RAW. Now all stills can be shot in RAW, including Advanced Filters – making them far more attractive to shoot.
I also like the addition of copyright and photographer info in the EXIF, and especially love the ability to name the seven custom settings in the Q-Menu.
For video shooters, the histogram in movie mode is a big step, as is AF-S refocus during shooting. Of course, some will love the ability to soft-switch ISO with the command dial.
But rather than list these features in the order Fujifilm does on their site, or in my order of preference, I’ve decided to group them into “fairly logical” topics, each with a reference to the following list for completion.
Of course, some features necessitate more explanation; some less.
Here’s the full list in the order Fujifilm presents it:
- Shooting RAW in Bracketing and Advanced Filters. The update enables you to use the RAW format when shooting not only in AE Bracketing but also in other Bracketing modes (ISO, Dynamic Range, White Balance, Film Simulations) and also in Advanced Filter modes.
- Extended ISO 125 and 160 selectable. The update adds ISO125 and ISO160 to extended ISO levels available.
- Programmable long exposure of up to 15 minutes. Long exposure in the T mode currently goes only up to 30 seconds. The update will allow users to extend it up to 15 minutes.
- ON/OFF for 1/3-step shutter speed adjustment. The update allows you to turn off the Command Dial’s function to adjust shutter speed by 1/3 steps in order to prevent unintended adjustments.
- Full-range ISO adjustments with the Command Dial. With the update, set the ISO “A” position to “Command” to adjust ISO sensitivity across the full range, including extended ISOs, with the Front Command Dial.
- “AUTO” setting added for the minimum shutter speed in the ISO Auto setting. The update adds an AUTO option for the minimum shutter speed in the ISO Auto setting, that allows the camera to automatically define the minimum shutter speed according to the focal length of the lens attached.
- Faster “Face Detection AF”. The update enables the use of Phase Detection AF for faster performance in Face Detection AF.
- Improved in-focus indication in the AF-C mode. The update reduces focus hunting in the AF-C mode, making it easier to track a subject.
- Addition of a smaller Focus Point size in Single Point AF. The update adds a smaller Focus Point size in Single Point AF, bringing the total number of available sizes to six. The new smallest size facilitates pin-point focusing.
- Addition of “Portrait / Landscape AF Mode Switching”. The update allows you to specify separate AF mode and AF point settings for portrait orientation and landscape orientation.
- Change of focus frame position while enlarging it.
The update allows you to move the position of focus frame while enlarging it in Single Point in the AF-S mode or in the Manual Focus.
- Activation of the Eye Sensor in video recording. The update allows you to use the Eye Sensor during video recording to automatically switch between EVF and LCD.
- Change of ISO sensitivity during video recording. The update allows you to change ISO setting during video recording.
- Re-autofocusing in video recording. With the update, half-press the Shutter Release button or press the button assigned to “AF-ON” function during video recording to re-do autofocusing.
- Display live histogram during video recording. The update allows you to display a live histogram during video recording.
- Optimization of external microphone’s input level. The update optimizes external microphone’s input level (lower limit revised from -12dB to 20dB) to reduce white noise when an external microphone with preamp is connected.
- Addition of “Eye Sensor + LCD Image Display” in the View Mode. The update gives the “Eye Sensor + LCD Image Display” option in the View Mode that allows you to shoot through the viewfinder and check images on the LCD, just as you would with an SLR.
- Constant “Dual display mode”. With the update, the small window in the Dual mode stays on even when you half-press the shutter release button.
- Automatic vertical GUI for LCD. With the update, when you hold the camera in the portrait orientation, the camera will automatically display the GUI on the LCD in the same orientation.
- Name Custom Settings. The update allows you to assign a specific name to Custom Settings 1 – 7.
- Copyright information in EXIF data. The update allows you to register the photographer’s name and the copyright holder’s name in advance so that the camera automatically adds the information to EXIF data for each image.
- Voice Memo function. The update enable you to record 30-second “Voice Memo” clips in the Playback mode.
- Extended AE Bracketing. The update extends AE Bracketing from the current 3 frames +/-2EV to up to 9 frames +/-3EV.
- Addition of “Shoot Without Card” mode. With the update, you can have the “Shoot Without Card” mode turned OFF so that the camera cannot shoot when there is no SD card inserted. Firmware 2.1
- Tether shooting is available by wireless communication.
- Option of “ALL” is added to AF mode. With this option, select “All” in the AF mode so that you can select the AF mode and Focus Area size by only using the Command Dial.
- Function extension for “Shutter AF” and “Shutter AE”. With the update, you can specify different settings for AF-S and AF-C in “Shutter AF” and for AF-S / MF and AF-C in “Shutter AE.”
- Options of “-6” and “-7” are added in the EVF BRIGHTNESS setting. With the additional options, even in an extremely low-light condition, the brightness of the EVF does not distract you from shooting.
- Switchover of the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode.
The update allows you to switch between the main and sub displays in the Dual Display mode.
- Function assignment to the Rear Command Dial. You can assign a specific function to be activated when the Rear Command Dial is pressed.
- Image transfer speed becomes faster to a smartphone or a tablet from a memory card in the slot 2.
- The phenomenon is fixed that in MF mode, a focus can shift in a specified condition (ex. repeated CL shooting).